fbpx How to Renew a U.S. Passport - Documented - Documented
Iso Logo
Logo Documented
Documented dactilar logo
View Resources For Immigrants
Dec 09, 2023 | Nancy Chen

How to Renew a U.S. Passport

Without a valid passport, you face restrictions when traveling to other countries. This article will provide you with information about how to renew your U.S. passport.

Determine whether you should renew your passport or reapply for a new one

If you answer “yes” to all the statements below regarding your most recent passport, then you can renew your passport, according to the Department of State. Otherwise, you should apply for a new one.

  • I can submit the passport with my application.
  • It is not damaged other than normal wear and tear.
  • I have never reported it lost or stolen.
  • It was issued within the last 15 years.
  • It was issued after my 16th birthday.
  • It was issued in my current name, or I can provide documents like a marriage certificate or divorce decree evidence of my name change.
  • It was not limited to less than the normal 10-year period of validity since I’ve lost multiple passports or had multiple damaged passports.

Steps to renew your passport

The form requires you to provide your personal information, including your Social Security Number if you have one, as well as contact and address. It also asks you about your most recent passport book or card information.

The form can be used to apply for your first passport book if you only have a passport card, or vice versa. Please sign and date the form before you submit it and remember to print it on single-sided paper.

  • Submit your most recent passport with your application when mailing or going in person. Submit whichever document (passport book or card) you would like to renew. If you have never had a passport book but have the card, submit the card if you want a book, vice versa.
  • Also, submit any documents proving that your name has changed from your most recent passport. This includes marriage certificate, divorce decree, court-ordered name change document.
  • Staple a 2’’ × 2’’ photo of you taken within the last six months to the application form. Please visit the Department of State website to see specific requirements on the photo.
  • Calculate fees and write it down in the check. You cannot send in cash or pay online at this moment. For routine services, the fees are $130 for passport book $130, $30 for passport card and both for $160. There is an additional cost of $60 if you want to use expedited service.

Here’s how you fill out your check (image courtesy of the Department of State).

Where to mail a passport application

Mail your completed application to the address below.

Routine service and you live in California, Florida, Illinois, Minnesota, New York, or TexasRoutine service and you live in any other state or Canada or you want expedited service
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 640155
Irving, TX 75064-0155
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

If you want expedited service, write “EXPEDITE” on the outside of the mailing envelope. If you live in the U.S., use the United States Postal Service (USPS) to mail. If you live in Canada, use Canada Post.

You may receive your passport and the supporting documents in separate mailings. You can track your application status, and learn more about the meaning of each status update.

What if I want to get my passport quicker?

The Department of State offers four types of services: life-or-death emergency, urgent travel, expedited, and routine. There is an additional cost of $60 for expedited service. You can also pay for faster delivery service.

You can also upgrade your application from routine to expedited service by paying $60, calling the National Passport Information Center at 877-487-2778 (888-874-7793 TDD/TTY) and ask to upgrade.

What should I do if I get a letter requesting me to resubmit Form DS-82?

Common reasons that you got this letter include:

  • No signature or date on your form
  • Bad or missing photo
  • Missing pages of your form
  • Wrong or missing fees
  • Most recent passport is missing
  • Most recent passport was issued over 15 years ago

Please follow the instructions in the letter you received on how to resubmit. You must include the letter when submitting the new application.

Can I send multiple renewal applications in one envelope?

Yes. If your family member is also renewing a passport, you can send multiple applications in the same envelope and pay for the applications using one check. Remember to add up the correct fees.

Once I renew my passport, can I still use a valid visa with my old passport?

Yes. In this case, you must bring both your new and old passport.

Dactilar Iso Logo Documented
Powered by Rainmakers