fbpx How to Renew a Chinese Passport While Living in the U.S. - Documented - Documented
Iso Logo
Logo Documented
Documented dactilar logo
View Resources For Immigrants
Jan 09, 2024 | Nancy Chen

How to Renew a Chinese Passport While Living in the U.S.

If you are a Chinese passport holder, renewing your passport in another country may seem complex. This article will provide you with information about how to renew your Chinese passport in the U.S.

As a newsroom devoted to covering immigrant communities, Documented has compiled a comprehensive guide for immigrant New Yorkers. This article is part of the guide.

Passport renewal process and documents needed

Whether you want to renew your passport or to replace your lost one, you need to first know which embassy or consulate covers the jurisdiction you reside in the U.S. If you apply to renew or replace your passport at an office not covering your jurisdiction, your application may be rejected. You can refer to the Chinese Embassy website to see the jurisdiction areas. For example, if you live in New York, you should go to the Chinese Consulate General in New York.

You can visit the Chinese Embassy website to see what documents and processes are involved when dealing with passport and travel card issues.

You need to download the mobile app of “Chinese Consular Affairs”. Click the “Passport/Travel Card” section on the dashboard and follow the instructions to fill out your online application. You can renew your passport if it has already expired or will expire within a year; it will expire over a year but you have reasonable justification to renew it; the passport is running out of pages; or your appearance has drastically changed.

The form will ask you to provide your basic personal information as well as your Chinese and American addresses. It also asks you for information about your current passport, visa and the last time you left China. Then you will be asked to verify your identity. The app will also provide you with instructions to mail the material to the Embassy or Consulate holding jurisdiction over your residing area.

You can pay for the fee of $23 either online or with a money order or cashier’s check. You cannot pay by cash or credit card if the online payment fails. After the application status becomes “under review,” you mail the required materials as follows.

  • Your most recent passport (not applicable if you lost your passport)
  • Printed screenshot of the order information page from the Chinese Consular app
  • Proof of payment of $23 (screenshot of the Chinese Consular app if you paid online or money order/cashier’s check to “Chinese Embassy”);
  • A USPS return envelope with tracking and paid postage.

The Chinese Consulate General in San Francisco website specifies the requirements for mailing.

If you lost your passport, you should first report it to the local police, who would then issue you a receipt of report. Then, apply at the Chinese Consular app and be prepared to provide the receipt of the report, lost passport copies if you have it, valid ID including driver’s license or Green Card, passport-sized photos as well as the documents required if you want to renew your passport.

You may as well prepare the following documents if requested: 48×33 mm passport-size photos (needed for travel card) and proof of your legal stay, such as a Green Card and visa. Valid U.S. ID card, utility bills, bank statements with your personal information and address can all be served to prove you live in the jurisdiction area of a particular Chinese Embassy or Consulate.

How long does the passport renewal process take?

There’s no set date on how long it would take for you to get your new passport. It can take about two to three weeks. So if you are traveling soon, you should plan ahead.

Can I send multiple renewal applications in one envelope?

No. Even if your family member is renewing a passport at the same time as you, you should send the applications in separate envelopes.

How to contact Chinese embassy and consulates

Chinese Embassy in the U.S.

Address: 2201 Wisconsin Ave. N.W., Ste. 110, Washington, D.C. 20007

Office hours: 9:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.

Email: washington_hz@csm.mfa.gov.cn (passport and travel card)

Phone: 202-855-1555 (Monday to Friday 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. for manual service)

Chinese Consulate General in New York

Address: 520 12th Ave., New York, NY 10036

Email: ny_hz@csm.mfa.gov.cn (passport and travel card)

Phone: 212-868-2078; Chinese citizens: 212-244-9498 (Monday to Friday 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. for manual service)

Chinese Consulate General in San Francisco

Address: 1450 Laguna St., San Francisco, CA 94115

Email: sf_hz@csm.mfa.gov.cn (passport); (sf@csm.mfa.gov.cn travel card)

Phone: 415-872-9091; Chinese citizens: 415-919-6008 (Monday to Friday 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. for manual service)

Chinese Consulate General in Los Angeles

Address: 443 Shatto Place, Los Angeles, CA 90020

Email: la@csm.mfa.gov.cn

Phone: 213-338-8353, 213-348-1778 (Monday to Friday 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. for manual service)

Chinese Consulate General in Chicago

Address: 1 East Erie St., Ste. 500, Chicago, IL 60611

Office hours: Monday to Friday 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.

Email: chicago@csm.mfa.gov.cn (passport and travel card)

Phone: 312-453-0210; Chinese citizens: 312-453-0212 (Monday to Friday 9:30 a.m. – 12 p.m. and 1:30 p.m. – 3 p.m. for manual service)

Dactilar Iso Logo Documented
Powered by Rainmakers