This summary was featured in Documented’s Early Arrival newsletter. You can subscribe to receive it in your inbox three times per week here.
The House voted on Wednesday to repeal the Trump administration’s ban on travel from several Muslim majority countries in a largely symbolic gesture.
The Democrat-controlled House passed a bill the NO BAN act, which overturns the travel ban, prohibits religious discrimination in the application of immigration law and constrains the executive branch’s ability to limit entry to the U.S. by certain groups. All House Democrats who voted supported the bill, and two Republicans joined them: Texas Rep. Will Hurd and Pennsylvania Rep. Brian Fitzpatrick. The bill has no chance of passing the Republican-controlled Senate.
The travel ban was originally put in place in January 2017, and after several iterations and court battles, the Supreme Court upheld the ban that blocks citizens from Iran, Somalia, Yemen, Syria and Libya from coming to the U.S. North Koreans and some Venezuelan government officials are also banned. Earlier this year, Trump put in place what was referred to as the Africa ban, which prohibits the entry of people from Eritrea, Nigeria, Sudan and Tanzania as well as Kyrgyzstan and Myanmar.
Trump had said on the campaign trail that he intended to stop Muslims from coming to the U.S. and the ban was among his first actions as president. Associated Press
In other federal immigration news…
No Child Too Young to be Separated
Former Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein advised U.S. attorneys that when implementing the 2018 family separation policy, there should be no age limit on prosecution. Even if a parent had a child under 5 years old, they should be prosecuted, which would force the government to separate them, Rosenstein advised. The comments reportedly shocked some of the border state prosecutors who were advised to do this on a call. The Guardian
Poll Indicates Trump’s Immigration Agenda Turns Off Voters
A new poll has found that Trump’s position on immigration is seemingly hurting his re-election chances. The poll was commissioned by immigration advocacy groups FWD.us, The Immigration Hub and America’s Voice. It found 57 percent of respondents were more troubled by “cruel and inhumane immigration policies,” while the other 43 percent said they are most bothered by “open border immigration policies.” The poll found that independents were turned off by policies like family separation and attempts to end DACA. A total of 43 percent said Trump’s immigration policies were a reason to vote against him and 39 percent said the policies were a reason to support him. The Hill
Support the work of Documented
Documented was founded with the goal of making sure the people affected by our stories were also the people reading them. Immigration reporting is often extractive and isn’t produced or published with the main protagonists as the intended audience. Through our reporting and out outreach via WhatsApp, we’ve created award-winning journalism that is created with and for New York’s immigrant communities. This work is not easy and it is not cheap. Consider becoming a member today to help fuel this work. By joining the Documented Community, you can not help only provide us with the financial freedom needed to fulfill our mission but also meet others who are passionate about immigration in the New York area. Become a member today.