This summary was featured in Documented’s Early Arrival newsletter. You can subscribe to receive it in your inbox three times per week here.
President Trump and his administration will not immediately try again to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program after the Supreme Court halted his earlier attempt to do so. Instead, the administration will only let immigrants who already had DACA protections renew their status for one year, rather than two, it said in a Thursday memo. First-time DACA applicants would be rejected, the memo continued.
A federal judge ruled last month the administration had to begin accepting new applications for the program. “We obviously have no choice but to go back to court,” said Mark Rosenbaum, a lawyer who was part of the legal challenge to the administration’s attempt to eliminate DACA. “It was illegal the first time, and now it’s a constitutional crisis. It’s as if a Supreme Court decision was written with invisible ink.”
A Pew Research Center poll conducted in June found three-quarters of Americans support allowing Dreamers to remain in the U.S. and providing them with a path to permanent residency. “I think they made the calculation that by deferring the final blow to DACA until after the election that they would be able to escape taking the hardest hit,” said Omar Jadwat, who directs the American Civil Liberties Union’s Immigrants’ Rights Project. The New York Times
In other federal immigration news…
California Sues Over Undocumented Census Count
California’s Attorney General Xavier Becerra’s office filed a new lawsuit against the Trump administration over a memorandum it released last week that aims to prevent undocumented immigrants from being counted in the 2020 Census. California is home to more than 2 million undocumented immigrants and could lose political influence and federal funding if the policy remains. The Sacramento Bee