This summary was featured in Documented’s Early Arrival newsletter. You can subscribe to receive it in your inbox three times per week here.
U.S. Census Bureau Director Steven Dillingham testified Wednesday that he was not notified ahead of time about President Trump’s decision to sign an executive order to exclude undocumented immigrants from counting toward the apportionment of congressional districts. In a hearing with the House Committee on Oversight and Reform, Dillingham said he was unaware of anyone from his office being involved in the order, which has been labeled as unconstitutional.
Trump issued a memorandum last week that stated undocumented immigrants would not be factored when drawing congressional district lines, a process usually dictated by the total population found in the census. Multiple lawsuits have been filed challenging the order. Dillingham was unclear on whether or not his office would be moving ahead with completing the census by the end of the year despite delays caused by the pandemic. Associated Press
Your help lets us keep reporting on immigrant communities. Support our work today.
Former DHS Heads Criticize Portland Invasions
Michael Chertoff, who served as Homeland Security secretary under former President George W. Bush, said the agency’s decision to send agents to Portland, Oregon to police protests was very unusual. The agency has been the subject of much debate for its role in the Portland protests, where agents have been sent under the guise of protecting federal property. Tom Ridge, the agency’s first secretary, also criticized the decision to send in agents, saying DHS is not to be used as the president’s “personal militia.” The Wall Street Journal
Support our work
Documented is the only NYC newsroom that creates journalism with and for immigrant communities. Help fuel this mission for $10/month.