fbpx How to apply for a tourist visa extension - Documented
Iso Logo
Logo Documented
Documented dactilar logo
View Resources For Immigrants
Jun 15, 2020 | Nicolás Ríos

How to Apply for a Tourist Visa Extension

How to Apply for a Tourist Visa Extension

For more information about resources for immigrants and undocumented, please visit our Resource Guide.

If you are in the United States on a tourist visa and are not able to return to your country due to travel restrictions, you can apply for a visa extension.

To do so, you need to fill the I-539 form. This article explains costs (they are around $450), processing time and documents required.

According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (the agency in charge of the process), if you apply for an extension before your visa expires, you will not be overstaying and will avoid legal consequences if you remain in the country after your expiration date.

If you are already late, USCIS says that you should still apply for an extension, as they could forgive the legal consequences of overstaying.

In order to do file this application, you will need your I-94 number. Here is where you can find it.


$370. Every person that applies has to also pay a biometrics processing fee of $85

How to pay

You can pay with a money order or a check. If you want to use a credit card, you have to fill Form G-1450.

If you pay with a check, you have to do it to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

How to present your applications

You can present your application to extend your stay before the deadline that appears in your I-94.

To file your application, you can do it:

  • Mail: Find the address that corresponds to your situation. Link
  • E-filing: Here is the official information.

If you have questions regarding how to file your I-539 form, please call USCIS at 1-800-375-5283, 1-800-767-1833 (TTY).

Dactilar Iso Logo Documented
Powered by Rainmakers